Friday, January 28, 2005

Cover Quotes

As "Publishing Gems: Insider Information for the Self-Publishing Writer" nears official publication I've been working on solidifying the cover. This includes both the design/layout as well as the copy. The front layout is complete, although I want an industry endorsement on the front.

I want some on the back, too.

So I've contacted some other well-known industry professionals associated with self-publishing: Judith, the current president of CIPA; Dan, the man who literally wrote the book on self-publishing, and Jan, the executive director of PMA.

Judith and Dan are maybes. Jan is a no. It's not PMA's policy to endorse their member’s books. Two out of three isn't bad if they pan out -- plus I'm taking advantage of services Outskirts Press offers to all its offers by securing a guaranteed pre-publication book review.

Its imperative (borderline imperative) that how-to or reference books covering a particular field feature industry endorsements on the cover.

Dan Poynter was very gracious. He suggested I send him the pre-pub galley in PDF along with a draft of the testimonial that he would edit to his liking. Prompt, professional, perfect. I have a space reserved for his quote above the title of my book, so I hope it's good.